Makes 4 servings.
1 tablespoon butter
2 cups leeks, split lengthwise, sliced thin and rinsed well
3 medium carrots, rinsed, peeled and cut into thin sticks
4 new (red) potatoes, rinsed and sliced into 1/2-inch-thick circles
2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
2 tablespoons fresh parsley, rinsed, dried and chopped (or 2 teaspoons dried)
12 ounces of cod fillet, cut into 4 portions (3 ounces each)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Heat butter in a large sauté pan. Add leeks and carrots, and cook gently for 3 to 5 minutes, stirring often, until the vegetables begin to soften.
- Add potatoes, chicken broth, parsley, salt and pepper, and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat and simmer gently until the vegetables are just tender, about 10 to 12 minutes.
- Add cod fillet portions, and cover with a tight-fitting lid. Continue cooking over low heat for an additional 5 minutes or until the fish is white and flakes easily with a fork in the thickest part (to a minimum internal temperature of 145 degrees).
- Serve each cod fillet portion with 1 1/2 cups broth and vegetables.
Serving size: 3 ounces cod, 1 1/2 cups broth and vegetables. Amount per serving: 158 calories, 4g total fat (2g saturated fat), 42mg cholesterol, 13g carbohydrates, 17g protein, 3g dietary fiber, 437mg sodium.
Source: National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute